Spring fever has hit my household with a force. We are over Winter and ready to bring on the warmer weather.
For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tsp salt
5 Tbsp chilled butter and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
12-14 strawberries, hulled and quartered
3/4 cup half and half
For the Glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
2. Combine flour,baking powder,sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender. The mixture should look like crumbs.
3. Add the strawberries and toss to coat with the flour mixture. Add half and half. Fold gently until it begins to form a soft dough. More cream can be added if needed. DO NOT knead or over mix the dough.
4. Place dough on a floured surface and pat into a 1-inch thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cute the rectangle into 6 squares. Then cut the squares on a diagonal to make 12 triangles. Place scones on the baking sheet. Bake 16-18 minutes or until they are cooked through and golden.
5.Place parchment paper under your cooling rack and let the scones cool for about 10 minutes.
6. Make the glaze by adding the powdered sugar,vanilla, and half and half into a small bowl and mixing until smooth. If the glaze is thick add more cream by the tablespoon. If the glaze is thin and more powdered sugar by 1/4 cup until you reach the desired consistency.
7. Dip the tops of the scones into the glaze and return to the cooling rack. This is where you will be glad that you put parchment paper under the cooling rack. the glaze will drip down. Once the scones are completely cool the glaze will firm up.